Volume 25, Issue 3 (9-2015)                   J Holist Nurs Midwifery 2015, 25(3): 46-54 | Back to browse issues page

XML Persian Abstract Print

Download citation:
BibTeX | RIS | EndNote | Medlars | ProCite | Reference Manager | RefWorks
Send citation to:

Alipour Z, Eskandari N, Izadi Tamhe A, Faezipour A, Abedini Z, Khoramirad Rad A. Relationship between personality characteristics and use of antibiotics . J Holist Nurs Midwifery. 2015; 25 (3) :46-54
URL: http://hnmj.gums.ac.ir/article-1-520-en.html
1- Instructor Qom University of Medical Sciences
2- Instructor Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences , narges.eskandari@sbmu.ac.ir
3- Assistant Professor Imam Hossein University, Tehran
4- Instructor
Abstract:   (2767 Views)

Abstract Introduction: Despite the emphasis of World Health Organization on limiting antibiotics, its use is increasing worldwide. Since studies have shown that personality has a role in determining individuals’ health behavior ,thus it is possible to change one’s health behaviors like self medication through suitable interventions. Objective: Present study aims to determine the relationship between personality characteristics and self use of antibiotics among students. Methods: In this co relational descriptive study, 405 students of Qom universities entered the study by available sampling method and were asked to complete both questionnaires of Neuroticism Extraversion Openness Inventory and demographic information. Data were analyzed through‌‌ descriptive and inferential statistics such as t-test, Mann Whitney and chi-square. Results: Study participants consisted of 255 female and 150 male students with an average age of 21.76 ± 4.39 years. 53.8% of students stated using antibiotics in last three months and of which 49.8% obtained antibiotics by physician prescription, and the rest (50.2%) without a prescription. The most common cause of antibiotic use was symptoms of cold and rhinorhea and Amoxicillin was the most used antibiotic. No feeling of need to refer to physician during illness was listed as the most common reason for self-medication with antibiotics. Study results indicated that participants had moderate level of neuroticism, extraversion, agreeableness and conscientiousness. The mean score of personality dimensions showed no significant difference in two groups of self-medication users and non-users (P>0.05). Conclusion: Considering the high prevalence of self-medication among students, it is necessary to increase awareness and promote development of students' attitudes and performance through proper interventions. Also, further studies seem necessary on impact of personality characteristics and psychological aspects on self medication of antibiotics.

Full-Text [PDF 196 kb]   (1568 Downloads) |   |   Full-Text (HTML)  (796 Views)  
Article Type : Applicable | Subject: Special
Received: 2015/09/19 | Accepted: 2015/09/20 | Published: 2015/09/20

Add your comments about this article : Your username or Email:

Send email to the article author

© 2017 All Rights Reserved | Journal of Holistic Nursing And Midwifery

Designed & Developed by : Yektaweb